Lost in Space: Months After Obama's Inauguration, NASA Is Still Without a Chief

[Lost in Space: Months After Obama's Inauguration, NASA Is Still Without a Chief] - April 07, 2009

Houston, we have a problem.

More than two months into his presidency, Barack Obama has yet to name a replacement for former NASA Administrator Michael D. Griffin, leaving the 18,000-man space agency flying without a navigator.

As NASA faces burgeoning budget problems and prepares to retire its aging fleet of space shuttles, 3,500 jobs are at risk in the years preceding the launch of the shuttle's replacement.

That's got NASA employees and members of Congress itching under the collar.

"Our nation cannot afford to be without a NASA administrator at this time," said Rep. Bill Posey, R-Fla., whose district in Florida's "Space Coast" would be hard-hit by job losses. "This is a critical juncture in the manned spaceflight effort, and now it's up to President Obama to lead the way ..." cont. at link above.

Continuing the article above ...

Its uncertain future and lack of direction is "driving folks crazy," said Michael Coats, director of NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

------------------------------------- :roll:

Poor St. NASA ... they get slammed with two historic hurricanes last year, [PREDICTED RIGHT HERE,] and no one wants to be the leader.

If I could make a suggestion.

Get yourselves 13 candidates in a room, and draw straws. The longest one, wings it.

Oh yeah ... baby ... oh yeah ... :shock:

Now, the plague of Romans X 30.

Watch, as all available resources are "now" diverted to other things. :-(

[Bolden Reacts To Reports of His Impending NASA Nomination]

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Barack Obama's science adviser told Congress May 14 a NASA administrator will be announced "very shortly," and government and industry sources said the top choice for the job is retired Marine Corps Maj. Gen. Charlie Bolden, a former astronaut who served as a NASA assistant deputy administrator in the early 1990s.

However, reached by phone May 15, Bolden told Space News he had not been asked to take the job and had no plans to meet with White House officials to discuss it.

"I am hearing the rumors, and as far as I know there is no truth in the rumors," Bolden said. "You can't say 'yes' or 'no' when you haven't had a conversation. I haven't had that conversation and I don't have one scheduled."

NASA has been without an administrator since Obama took office Jan. 20. The vacancy has been a source of frustration for some members of Congress as NASA faces critical decisions about retiring the space shuttle and its future in human spaceflight.

John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, tried to reassure lawmakers during a House Science and Technology Committee hearing that Obama recognizes the need to select a NASA chief.

"I have reason for optimism that the president will be naming an administrator for NASA very shortly and that will put at least that concern to rest, because I think it will be an outstanding person," Holdren said. "The concern has been to get the right person for the job, and the fact that we don't have one now is not for lack of effort ... cont. at the link above"

----------------------------------------

[Senate Confirms Ex-Astronaut Bolden to Head NASA] - Thursday, July 16, 2009 AP

Bolden told senators last week that if the U.S. chooses to lead in technology, it must commit to, among other measures, inspiring the rising generation of children to contribute in the fields of science and engineering as well as enhancing NASA's ability and expertise in understanding Earth's environment.

"Either we can invest in building upon our hard earned world technological leadership or we can abandon this commitment, ceding it to others who are working vigilantly to push the frontiers of space," he said during a confirmation hearing on July 8.

....Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., another ex-astronaut, said Bolden will "bring back the magic from a time when we rode rockets to the moon" ... cont. at link above.

There will be no more "magic," Senator. The only thing that remains for the rebuilt Tower of Babel, are plagues and desolation.

No magic required ...