NASA Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover

1 Like

I assume I would stay confused if I spent years looking at these satellite images of the Jezero crater interior.
This is a spot far from the delta which enlivened scientists to study the crater, yet this is one of the more common cratering patterns on Mars, and statistics here show all three craters have a ‘doubling’ process which has been left open as a suggested two component simultaneous impactor for a cause.
The upper section of the largest crater has four equal sized small craters in the walls in concentric alignment with the crater shape. The string of smaller craters are all singular and in measured synchronous close association and therefore cause. This is worthy of a status of a Mars mystery. I am looking forward to an explanation.

ESP_022746_1985

https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_022746_1985

It is clear that each ‘double crater’ has solid crater centered mounding at scaled sizes for the three, yet a fourth small crater has no central mound and is not appearing to be a double crater.
I am trying to find a good topographic map of Jezero crater which can be used as a source of cropped displays. Certainly a lot of details and examples and patterns across this landscape.

The Rat Pack reference were a group of entertainers who coped with social stresses in a world of extremes of conditions, and ‘Smokey’ jr. did a little of everything. I never met them when I lived in Las Vegas half a cetury ago, but my father happened to accompany them once or more. They put the U.S. and Las Vegas on the map for consumers and they were great entertainers. They did some serious consumption as a group also.
Jezero, and hopefully Perseverance rover, will put Mars on the consumers mental map with all these unusual mystery details which follow clear patterns.
There are references to two primary periods of water at Jezero crater. A simple description based upon satellite imagery research in non-technical terms.

Another early MRO/HiRISE view of a section of Jezero crater shows a pair of unusual shaped rims on ‘double craters’. These two pairs have no internal peak or mounds, yet clearly are directly related in cause of pairing and timing.
These unusual craters and topography show that simple water ponding and flow is not the cause of the current surface details for much of the crater.
I am interested in detailed assessments of cause and conditions other than standing water or the passage of a liquid.

The original HiRISE image source and the Browse RED image source.

https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_021678_1985

Additional questions and no answers.

Image credits, originals; Image: NASA/JPL/University of Arizona

2 Likes

This gif from neo56 UMSF shows a more realistic surface color calibration. Beside showing NASA check out procedures it shows a surface anomaly.

The scour shows the dark material is restricted to the extreme upper layer. This must mean that it is young. Aeolian process would certainly cover it if it was simply ejecta. This would necessarily require regeneration. A local phenomenon indeed.

1 Like

Thanks all, for sharing your pics and thoughts. Good that place still exists and you guys are still here. I still miss Hort. A new adventure started, lets see what we encounter.

They started to move

2 Likes

Nice entry landing image.

Jccwrt UMSF

Looks like another drive. It was said at last press briefing that Perseverance can travel 5X faster than Curiosity. This is because of new hazard avoidance visible scanning software. Translation, AI.

This NASA image is the most likely a true color image. Contrast is good. Visibility at least 6 miles. No restrictions of visibility at nearby surface obects. Sky color has a slight green hue. Blue skies above a yellowish, brownish dust layer should look just like that.

Never thought I would live long enough to say that. The crowd chants: drop that copter, drop that copter, drop that copter…

This is a Viking Lander image for reference. A little less dust.

Green skies occure on Earth. This is with severe downdrafts kicking up dust. Gray skies can produce the same effect. Just more green.

Latest Rover images look real.

I rest my case on Mars sky color. It ain’t red.

1 Like

Great scene here. The shiny spot is better visible. It is a patch of flat shiny material.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap210309.html

I need to study this: A Field Guide to Finding Fossils on Mars

1 Like

Good to hear from each of you. I am preoccupied, ‘occupied’, and will be foreshortening my comments this week. I’ll study your link, while tryiong to produce some original takes on the various sources of weathering and deposition. I try to not use others and researchers images when possible, but it is slow as a process. This link for the Syrtis Major region as illustration has some names and a good unique display of directional winds and elevation interpretation. The full image when downloaded shows a visible ‘recent’ history of the geology, but, leaves open the sugestion of a shoreline or subduction process.

Perhaps later today for better use of the information available.

A good source of satellite interpretation of the Perseverance acessible crater and fine coverage of the entire crater to the rim and beyond.
A source for many developed images of mineral and chemical exposures.
This covers and extends the visual with chemical signatures.

A quick view in illustration of the massive deep and severe surface constraints applied to what would be a relatively circular base of flows from what is not a single source of interaction. This is a linear deep expression source followed by a relatively parallel linear restricted surface pattern.
The source and surface shape are clear.

I haven’t read of any damages that would prevent functioning.
This is a 2X closeup and 1/2 X for the inset full image.
The sun is a very strong yellow influence, but these views are stable at this hue and color.
Also, dust is clinging to the parts in just a couple weeks.

1 Like

Your entry at number #15, and a second perspective.
This is my view of the layering at the panorama expanse. The original leaves the full ‘drape’ or ‘fold’ shape as a partial shape in the UMSF tdemeke illustrated crop.
My altered view shows the actual full rounded pattern including a lack of a sharp crest. Multiple layers the same thickness for each throughout the shaping also brings question to the idea of wind deposition on simple slopes or dunes.
The left side slopes are differing from the right side.

Need some examples in number to study this.
The downlooking camera shows what small wind effects tend to shape as, with ridges and thin layers. Not at all like the large layers in the example presented at reply #15 and #30.

The inherent colors tend to orange, but after discussing the yellow influence of the Sun on Mars images here I realised I should make these folded layers more visible. Changing the hue 8 points worked well until I make better images. Were these underwater or under a sheet of ice? It looks to me as these are folded or draped with thick lenses of equal thickness.

Will submerged water form linear equal thickness layers which form ridges which are parallel to the liquid flow?

After a closer look I have to admit there is a repeat pattern on the front erosion end of this structure. This could be a superstructure prone to erosion or it could be a layer built up, but we need a few angles of view and other examples.
Hope to solve this during the mission.

I don’t know if you can see the marked repeat faint arcs in the top view, and they are thicker as linear dark arcs in the lower view. So many patterns to learn from.

2 Likes

Latest sky conditions look good for color and hue. No clouds have be observed. Still waiting on the image guys from around the world to produce some gifs to observe subtle variations and dust layer transients. Will post.

SkyCam is a sky-facing camera aboard NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover. As part of the Mars Environmental Dynamics Analyzer (MEDA), the rover’s set of weather instruments, SkyCam will take images and video of clouds passing in the Martian sky.

Glad you are looking. Didn’t see anything shiny. No disrespect, can you crop image? Nevertheless, keep looking.

I was thinking it was the top slab on the large rock in the foreground possibly. The originals for this panorama were so large in number. I must spend a larger portion of my time with these new rover images.
The credits will be split between originals and subsequent assembled products as in this case. A larger aircraft with good cameras would give us the multiple perspective views we need for assessing the scene in each geological location.

The Panorama credits and acknowledgements page, which is a page long listing.
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/lib/about_apod.html#srapply
National links, organizations, individuals, much to asses and read.
This mission is going to be much more complex than prior missions.
It is amazing to drive the American deserts and see large structure fossils still upright and free standing on the current foot path scene. As we do not expect that on Mars as a probability we must rely on the type of materials exposed at the surface of Mars for collection of later samples and a possible return mission for the samples.
I can’t wait for the subsequent development of ‘regolith erosion’ as a subset of geological classes in schools and online.

1 Like

That bit of hill is quite eyecatching I would like to see some more of it .

1 Like

I believe we will have to leave that to the rover Perseverance. I can’t produce equipment details as yet. This is the ESP_068360_1985_RED view just released at HiRISE. We may find better details on future views.

I can see all six wheels but it is too low in contrast and the blur denies the equipment shapes.

https://www.uahirise.org/ESP_068360_1985

1 Like

Ran across this video on Youtube. There is one spectacular image. A night time observation of Mars moon Phobos. The legendary astronaut Buzz Aldren, claimed there was a “monolith,” on Phobos. Perseverance captures its majesty.

Still unable to find raw image. It must be somewhere. If you find it please post.

Found the Sol 16 raw image on NASA site. It’s there.

This rock here:

1 Like

Let’s hope Dana takes a look. Any rock guys lurking? Time to chime in.

Looking over the various ESP_068360_1985 HiRISE images. Lots of detail. Difficult to display and prepare images from HiRISE commonly.
The rover at 1X and IRB has a pleasing set of colors.
First image the rover in place.

Below this spot a few hundred meters away is a ‘dual ridge’ linear item which I thought might be of interest. Following the dual ridge back towards the rover, it ‘transforms’ into a couple of the darker shrinkage fissures in the lighter toned rock materials. Those fissures are radial from and coalesce at the smaller crater filled with dust/regolith/sand type dune accumulations. The fissures are larger closer to the small crater.
Perhaps not of much intrigue to the professionals who are aware of the cause and efect as well as the content.

Towards the delta from the rover landing spot and at a few hundreds meters are these ‘arcing concave’ shrinkage fissures in below surface material. The repeat side by side patterned fissures extend into the small area of dunes which for a depression towards the distant delta bluff.
These patterned shapes are a complement to the ‘arcing repeats’ in the delta layers which are elevated and eroding.
Are the two sets the same process or are they each distinct as processes?
Contrast and brightness here increased by ten points each as these are difficult to visualize in place from above.

On the open surface these smaller curvilinear fissures are difficult to see at this scale of 1 to 1 size. As the downslope is incurred along the diagonal and we are seeing a declining elevation, the yellow/green section shows the 3D arcing completion of the patterns. These may be a byproduct of temperature- cooling, flow setting, or a number of other causes. Are these a formation as in the delta layer arcing ‘layers’ in the previous views?
The ‘dual ridge’ channels are a limiting and conditioning influence on the delta leading erosion wall exposure.
Is this a solution to both the current flows and the full delta, or, is the formation caused by the source chemistry and multiple formation causes?
I will be looking for more and better examples.
Will the rover deal with this?

Decided to keep these images and set of patterns in one entry where possible. This is a screen capture of the possible matching section of a bluff near the rover from the approximate correct direction, and from the ground level we have an ‘RGB’ equivalent coloration of what seems to be the same scene. The Sun is overhead, lighting good for shadows of shallow elevation differences, and the downslope curvilinear arcs seem to match.
Despite color being displayed at different wavelengths and combinations, the pattern match is good. It does seem this is more than ‘slide’ or debris slippage. I beleive the pattern is real and is a product of deep alteration of the nearby delta type levels.
Close study of the surface of the shrinkage fissure patterns and these slopes in combination might be a very good indicator of the historical alterations, and might be a story of the original deposits and activity.
These are dificult to see, and the blog view is small. A image host view is far larger upon the second mouse-click, and a downloading of the image should give a much better view. I will produce a screen capture of the panorama scaled indicator section so you can follow the location reference. That will be a later posted entry.
Some conversation as to whther this is a true depth-wise view of altered material following the surface darker fissures would be valuable, especially from professionals.

The entry #29 convex erosion ‘folds’ or layer shapes do not show complete matching circular complete patterns and may be distinct or simply a variation from the difficulties in viewing and debris distortion. An open set of questions.
I may have to rotate one of these set of views to match the impressionism involved.

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap210309.html

Original image credits and related links for the panorama source;
https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/lib/about_apod.html#srapply

A Merged RGB (MRGB) scaled view of the rover landing spot with reference to the direction and distance to the close by slope marked for the arcing concave fissures exposed on the slope, and, a longer distance edge of the very elevated delta at the closest point.
The slope is of the lower elevation material locally where we can see the fissure patterns. It measures about 1837 pixels in the reference image.
The closest delta slope is a distance of more than 3900 pixels. That is more than twice the distance to the viewable slope I used in these entries. The materials may be entirely different. The patterns may be generally different.
In both satellite views the dual walled linear patterns appear the same. The minor darker fissures which are related appear the same.
We have a few years to investigate the materials and the evolving and controlling channels and fissures.
Both the channels and fissures have determined and/or represent the margins of much of the delta leading erosion edge.

ESP_068360_1985 MRGB jp2

2 Likes

First combined image closeup seems blurred but reasonably well colored.
Interesting details at visual sizes are possible. We should find many curious objects to look at over the next couple years.

My take on this is a couple fibers and a patterned shape in the focus area, here altered by change in high and low tone levels to 100 to 235, size increased to 3X, marked and cropped to 1100x500 final size, then 500x240.
This item caught my eye even at 16 tones reduction in tonal scale, but the view here is at the full 256 tones as normal except for the ‘contrast’ increase in ‘Levels-100 to 235’ from 0 to 255.
If these images were focused across the full frame they would be very valuable in seeing visual scale objects.

The third view is a 3X enlarged and highly altered view at DPI 1647. The fibers around this object are very noticable in the original even at 1 to 1 size, and are at the near left of this item. This is just to the right of the overlapping image pair, just beyond the left side circular image margin. It is about midway top to bottom of the original.
What is this item? What are the 3D fibers standing above the rock surface?

Decided to add four views at 3X size, because there are always some who will not look at an image host view to see items at the realistic scale. These four images are of fibers either embedded in the rock or free standing from the surface, and these seem to be a qualifying set of characteristics of the ‘rock’ formation or regolith-soil type assembled materials. The presence of fibers is common in the rover views of prior missions in closeups and these are light toned and distinct from other items.
The shape I presented also carries a fiber aligned vertically in the image apparently. Several fibers emerged 3D just at the bottom of the ‘fossil’ shape on the right example in the assembled views.
Great for the imagination. Is this a mineral set of fibers? Perhaps not a mineral item type?

Credits, originals; NASA/JPL-Caltech/LANL/CNES/CNRS/ASU/MSSS

1 Like

The NASA representation of the location on a rock for the fibers and the multiple walled symmetric shape is done well in the image here. It has no link on the page, and I have added the enlarged image with an arrow pointing to the section of the Super Cam image where the items are located.
The item is on the right of the enclosed black box area, most of the fibers are at the left within the enclosed box.
There will always be a problem where a 3D surface is viewed close up. Lack of focus denies available detail.
The SHERLOC and other instruments apparently have not been used on this rock. How specific is the laser device at this scaled size?

A scaled view of the symmetric item, inset on the lower left at 1 to 1, DPI 72, and, a 3X view at DPI 1647, both altered from the original low contrast image, with boxes to show a larger example of the same patterned object type, angled differently, with some 3D depth appearing as a more complete shape on the rock.
Last is a closeup of the larger example, 3X and DPI 1647.

Rocks or biology?

1 Like