Robots Take Mars in Stride

Not far in the future, we will be exploring various planets and moons with less encumbrance and more autonomy than the current generation MER and MSL wheeled 'carts'. A robot society could fulfill much of the cataloging required.
Small or large devices may give us planetary video exploration daily for public spectacles equal to the best Earth based programs.

Dana>>>

Thanks for the leads.

These things are going to become 'everyday-appliances' just like a toaster, hand mixer or BBQ, and I like all of it. Finally someone or something to serve ME!

yt
dx
:D

The list of UTube video displays of these was long, and varied widely in the degrees to which the robotic 'creatures were successful in stability under stresses, but well worth watching. I look forward to some fine Earth based, and ET type rover/robots soon. Unfortunately for many of us, missions with these may at the end of, or after, our lives, as we are an aging population.
I sure wish we were making additional runs with the MRO type crafts, as the mapping is a great resource to spent our 'free' time with in the public. These robots could travels areas not traversable by the simpler 'wheeled' carts.
Here is an interesting detail from the MRO/HiRISE south polar ice cap seasonal exposure which I find important in studying the transformation of the polar layers. This is a landscape set of details which could be accomplished by a hardened 'walking' robotic survey device. Without these walking type robots we will never have the closeups needed to secure the process details.
The source image was ESP_01444_0935, and this scene is about 400 feet wide, with the small mound bright spots about the size of manhole covers. The marked fluted radial crystalline patterns seem to disappear as fluted upon the exposure to direct sunlight, and have none-the-less a bright peak remaining in sunlit conditions. This would indicate a tall structural ascent with a converted outer slope giving a probable active geology factor in the layered sublimating terrain areas. As the image is poor as yet, and this is 4x or greater enlargement of the HiRISE photo, I will work on better detailing of this. I had noticed this before, but can't seem to extract the closeup fine details adequately.

TIF type available online also.
More later. What are these, and are they related to active fans(elsewhere)?

What robots may be able to do in future, both on the Moon and Mars, is to act as an advance party to build a safe habitat for the first human explorers using raw materials that already exist on each respective orb.

If we use robots to carry out that high risk activity in preparation, we can lower the risk for any subsequent human exploration.

Aldebaran>>>

Damned good point and the very prime concept plan required to make these expensive machines pay us back! Just think of the endless possibilities that go hand in hand with the idea of several varieties of working class robots on another planet with the likes of 'survey robots', 'site service and life support building infrastructure robots', 'building construction robots' and other 'trade finishing robots'[we humans will keep the planning and design] to make our buildings and interior spaces presentable to us alleviating the harsh environment around our work and living place so we may get on with the business of humanizing[or whatever it is we are going to do in space or on another planet] OK OK >>>explore DUHHH!

What a whole NEW bright world this could be!

As I said in reply 1 above>>>>serve ME!!!

yt
dx
:D

Does this sound feasible? Instead of putting a lander on the surface of Mars, I would rather see them drop a floating Helium balloon into the atmosphere. This balloon wouldn't have much control, except maybe in altitude, but with cameras and sensors we would get to know far more about the planet than we currently do using remote controlled toys.

NASA have been looking into it

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/technology/balloons/

Alan yes it is feasible and has been considered

http://marsprogram.jpl.nasa.gov/technology/balloons/

Hi kevin,
Thanks for the link. I'm feeling a bit stupid for not knowing about those plans. I hope they can get something like that working before too long. With the low atmospheric pressure and low gravity I can see a small tank of Helium lasting for a very long time. lets hope they realise that plastic is leak proof..lol.